I really like Real Simple Magazine and buy it every once and awhile. It has some great tips and the recipes that I have tried have been "simple" and good.
I tried this one last night, it wasn't bad. Mind you, I omitted the apricots and hehe oops forgot the spinach at the last minute...I blame that on my 3 year old.
Spiced Braised Beef with Sweet Potatoes
- 1 1/2 pounds beef chuck, cut into chunks
- 2 sweet potatoes (about 1 pound), cut into 1/2-inch-thick half-moons
- 1 28-ounce can whole peeled tomatoes
- 1 large red onion, cut into wedges
- 1/2 cup dried apricots
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- kosher salt
- 1 10-ounce box couscous (1 1/2 cups)
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed
- 2 cups baby spinach (1 1/2 ounces)
- 1/4 cup roasted almonds, chopped
- In a 4- to 6-quart slow cooker, combine the beef, potatoes, tomatoes (and their juices), onion, apricots, cumin, ginger, cinnamon, cayenne, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 cup water.
- Cook, covered, until the meat is tender, on high for 4 to 5 hours, or on low for 7 to 8 hours.
- Ten minutes before serving, prepare the couscous according to the package directions.
- Add the chickpeas to the slow cooker and cook until heated through, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the spinach. Serve with the couscous and sprinkle with the almonds.